Whether you’re a college student, a mom or someone working a full-time job – time is of the essence. For me, eating healthy is a non negotiable; which also applies to snacking!
These protein packed peanut butter chocolate chip protein balls have been my absolute go-to all year. They’re healthy, filling and made with only whole ingredients!
If I’m running late to work or even just craving a dessert while binge watching HGTV (Fixer Upper, who’s with me?), I feel good about grabbing these from the freezer.
On a scale of 1-10, I’m probably a 4 when it comes to cooking/baking skills – yikes … so if I can make these, so can you!
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 C measuring cup
- Large mixing bowl
- Cookie sheet
- Tin foil
- A LOT of almond butter.. but start with 1 cup (I used Skippy peanut butter this time, but trust me, the wet consistency of almond/nut butter is definitely better)
- 2 scoops of collagen peptide (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- A dash or two of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (only because my PB was waaay too thick)
- Combine all ingredients above into a large mixing bowl.
- Using your hands (gross, I know), mix the ingredients to create a thick, yet rollable paste.
- If it’s too watery to roll into 1 inch balls, add more oats – if it’s too thick and keeps falling apart with no hope of forming a ball, you can either a) add 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk or b) add more almond butter.
- Once it is mixed to desired consistency, roll into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet, lined with tin foil.
- Place cookie sheet filled with protein balls in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- ~30 minutes later~ take out and enjoy all week long!
*CassieSays tip: I like to transfer them over to a tupperware container and then keep them in the freezer as I snack on them throughout the week. I like them more solid, some people place them in the fridge for a softer consistency. Up to you!
Homemade vs. pre made ones
You can certainly buy these pre made at a health food store, but I like knowing exactly what is in them. I came across a brand that makes them – they’re DELISH I will say – but when I checked the label, they had whole milk powder in them, whey protein and the last ingredient listed was bacillus coagulans (which I had to google) and apparently is a probiotic people take when they have bathroom issues, if you know what I mean… so yeah, case closed. I make my own and you can too!
Cassie Says… upgrade your snacking and meal prep this on Sunday’s! What a perfect way to start out the week knowing you have something sweet waiting for you every day 🙂 YUM!